Friday 11 October 2013

A cure for jet lag?

Henry is super excited because today we are going on a BIG AEROPLANE! (The photos below are of him getting excited looking at aeroplanes in the sky.)




Henry is obsessed with aeroplanes, to the extent that sometimes when we have nothing to do, we go to the big glass window at the shops in Tung Chung and I have a coffee and we just sit and watch the aeroplanes go by.

I, on the other hand, am not super excited about the upcoming 12 hour plane trip from Paris to Hong Kong.

I'm even less excited by the prospect of a week of baby jet lag.

When we were living in Shanghai, we were lucky to be able to travel to Europe quite often with Lachlan's work. The first trip we did was when Henry was 8 weeks old - we went to Amsterdam.  Sitting in economy with an 8 week old baby, while Lachlan was in business, was one of the worst flights in my life. To be fair, I had told Lachlan that I would be ok, and so Lachlan wasn't really to blame. Some of the other places we went were Ireland, Hawaii and Kyoto.

However the jet lag coming back was always absolutely brutal.

My theory was that, due to the pollution, you are exposed to very little natural light in Shanghai and so it take your body a really long time to adjust.

However, a may have found a cure. I'm going to test this out tomorrow;

"The international traveler.......can avoid jet lag by simply not eating for twelve to sixteen hours before breakfast time in the new time zone-at which point, ....... he should break his fast. Since most of us go twelve to sixteen hours between dinner and breakfast anyway, the abstention is a small hardship".

I'm not sure if it will work, but it's worth a try! I'll let you know how it goes. If it doesn't work, there's always childrens Tylenol!

No comments:

Post a Comment